Child Safety

Child Safety Around Batteries

The Power Shack is a family owned business and we therefore take child safety around batteries very seriously.  To highlight the risks children face when playing with batteries, especially button cell batteries, we have compiled a bit of information below for your reference.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, an estimated four children are presented per week to the Emergency Department for battery related injuries.

The ACCC is working closely with all industry stakeholders, including retailers, to identify possible improvements that can be made to the child-resistance of packaging.   Any changes will take some time to filter through, so the imprtant thing right now is to make everyone aware.

The Power Shack is sensitive to this and as such, we encourage you to take some time and have a read and watch of the information we have included but also use the links to gather further information.

Take Charge. Act Now.

  1. Keep coin-sized button batteries and devices out of sight and out of reach.
  2. Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
  3. Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.
  4. If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink and do not induce vomiting.
  5. Call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 for additional treatment information.
  6. Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries and how to keep their children safe

Additional Information:

Further information on this topic can be found at any of the below:

Get Your Quote or Call: (07) 3333 2580

For any inquiries, questions or commendations, please contact us.

Enquire Now

Fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.